Saturday, August 12, 2017

Late Summer Nesting

“Be faithful to your own taste, because nothing you really like is ever out of style.
-- Billy Baldwin

But haven't you ever bought something you liked and later, you had second thoughts? Maybe, for various reasons, you weren't able to return the item. Heaven knows, this has happened to me. Yet for the most part, I have really liked things I've bought over the years, and just looking at them evokes happy memories. 

I love this old hutch (and would not dream of painting it). 

I really like the old, chippy bench, but I've had a difficult time finding the right place for it.

For now (and in this house, "now" can mean five years or five minutes), the bench is staying in the sun room. Still, when I imagine the space with draperies, it looks better with less furniture. Time will tell.

Love and dislike seems to go hand in hand with home decorating.
A few weeks ago, I decided the house needed fluffing, so I tore apart the sun room. You can see the backstory HERE. The space was baffling--multiple angles, windows, no walls. When I look back on my decorating adventures, the problem wasn't the room--it was me. I was too hard on the space, failing to see what the room had to offer.

The idea for the sun room's latest configuration came from Cindy in OK, who left a comment on the previous decorating post, advising me to place the old gate-leg table in the sun room. The moment the table was in place, I knew Cindy was right. The table will work as a place to drink morning coffee, plan menus, and gather for lunch. At Christmas, the tree goes between the two windows, just to the right of the green farm table. I can already imagine a Christmas breakfast in this sunny space.


I added a few blue pieces to the hutch. Still hunting and gathering in the cabinets for more.

 The chippy bench had been on a long wall in the living room. I replaced it (temporarily) with a bedroom table. I like the table, but this wall really needs a wider piece of furniture, preferably one that isn't "leggy." But it'll work for now. The black floor lamp belongs in the man cave (but I removed it because Jasper is chewing on everything, and even though the lamp was unplugged, I was afraid he'd eat a wire or plastic).

Next, I moved to the foyer. The gate-leg table had been in here, and now that it was in the sun room, I was inspired to fluff a little. The old chest (which I love and really like) had been on the opposite wall, and I moved it into the gate-leg's old spot. (As an aside, the foyer is long and narrow, with doors/windows on one side, two small walls, and archways that lead to the living room.) I can't commit to art, but I rather like the watercolor. It has a sister, and I considered putting it on the opposite wall. I still might.

However, at this point, I was running out of steam. Bandwidth helped me move the carved bench to the opposite wall. Since a nail was already in place, I just hung a rack (no big committment). The rack had been there last autumn and Christmas, hanging over the white chest, but my husband just hadn't liked the informality. I can see the "sister" watercolor above the bench, and I have an idea it may look pretty. However, I like having a rack for Jasper's leash and, in winter, our coats. I just propped a canvas on the rack to see if art would brighten the space.
On the floor (left side), I stacked old, beloved animal-themed art (ducks; a fox), and I'm working up my nerve to climb on a ladder and do a little nailing.
The concrete cherub belongs outside, but for now, it prevents the cane basket from toppling over.

Returning to Billy Baldwin's quote, I must say that I really like the bench. I would buy more floral pillows (to match the ones in the living room/sun room), but it's almost autumn, and I already have plenty of orange/blue pillows in the closet.
I really like the canes, the wicker/rattan, the paintings, the boots. Though I move them around, they never fall out of favor.
I will always like them.

As for the bench, well, dear bench, I really like you. And as we move through the seasons, I have an idea that you will show me just how versatile you are.

Shared at:

22 comments:

  1. Your home is lovely. The quilt over the bench is a great idea. I'm going to steal that idea tonight and dig out a family quilt for our bench, which I'm thinking of painting. I'm torn between painting it or selling the bench. It just doesn't work as is. Maybe I'll post it and someone will come up with a better idea like your reader in OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paint may be just the thing for your bench!

      Delete
  2. Yes! A couple of these arrangements caught my eye at Foodie Friday and I am really loving these latest stylings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, thank you! I hope the momentum continues so I can hammer more nail holes in the walls. :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the gateleg table in the sunroom, it is perfect and the entry is looking fabulous too. Great nesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty. I've enjoyed your nesting!

      Delete
  4. I love how the round table turned out! And I love that carved bench in its new home. It's nice to have so many options even when they wear you out giving them a try.... this creating beauty and making a home comfortable thing is hard work! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is hard work. But worth it. Your idea was perfect!

      Delete
  5. How have I missed your new look? I love your header, so fresh and pretty . Isn't it fun to move things around and give your home a fresh new look, at least in your own eyes! I really love the wicker chairs at the table, such a lovely contrast in textures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done much gardening because of the ticks and chiggers, and I turned to the indoors (which needed a kind of weeding). ;-)

      Delete
  6. I really like everything you changed up. IT looks terrific. I love moving things around except I have a small cottage and not a lot of room.

    Have a great week.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your late summer nesting! The benches, chippy chest, quilt and wicker chairs are my style too. Maybe Jasper needs a puppy life jacket to join you for a swim or dip in that wonderful pool. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a beautiful and inviting home! I love the hutch and your chippy bench just the way they are! I also love that you just "pop" paintings here and there (on shelves, on benches, etc.). They all look so great where you put them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved all the pictures and your musings as well as reading all the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love following your decorating journey. That bench is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the table in the sunroom!! Everything is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many pretty things and I love the way you use color. It makes your home look so happy! Enjoy your week!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how Cindy knew that your table was right for that spot but by golly she was.

    I love the warmth of your wood pieces and the wicker basket and canes mixed with some patterned and floral accents. I got up from reading your earlier post on this and started moving things around in my own rooms. I have a feeling I'll be doing that again after this visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Michael Lee, I LOVE the chippy bench in the sunroom!! It looks so happy there, with that gate leg table and those wicker chairs. It spells cozy to me.

    ReplyDelete